[thelist] Choosing a CMS?

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Sat Oct 18 11:46:50 CDT 2003

I'm the webmaster of a not-quite-ready-for-prime-time website
<http://ballsome.com>, and I'm wondering about some CMS issues.

Ballsome.com features multiple subdomains, each containing a
quasi-independent section website. They should be linked (e.g. the same
global site menu) but with the capability of being as seperate as
possible (different color schemes, different content types, different
layout, if necessary).

So far, I've been trying to roll my own backend, but I feel like I'm
both in over my head and reinventing the wheel.

I've dabbled in PHPNuke once, but it always seems like I'm conforming to
its layout, not adapting it to mine.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Is it worth hunkering down
and build my own? Or is it better to adapt an existing system to my
needs? If so, what's out there that supports multiple subdomains with
independent features?

Thanks for the help, guys.

--
Joel Konkle-Parker