[thelist] Design vs. development

Ken Moore psm2713 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 18 19:23:12 CDT 2003

Tony,

You wrote:

>From: "J. Anthony Peth" <jpeth at mac.com>

>My instructors at school say that the role of the freelancer is dieing, and
>that working in a group in teams is the only way to go.
>
>What are the views of the users on this list?

Your letter shows a great deal of thoughfulness. It is my hope that I can
say something of help to you.

You are right. The days of the "general practisioner" are limited. In the
early 90's I could keep my day job and teach Intro to PCs, DOS, word
processing, SS, database and other stuff. To do so now in not practical
unless you teach as a profession.

What to do?

Figure out what you are good at and enjoy. Become very, very good at a few
of the overlapping skills. In you case, html, graphic design, artistic
co-ordination and contrast, matching web content with different site
designs.

Then become reasonably good at as many contingent skills as is possible.
Spend your time getting paid for what your are highly productive at and farm
out the rest.

Do three things:
   1. Offer the best product you can
   2. Offer the best service you can