[thelist] Design vs. development

Wil Cone wil at inaridesign.com
Sun Oct 19 17:23:59 CDT 2003

I would say most people in the field are aware of the issue, but may not
view it as a problem. There are lots of reasons the issue might be
downplayed or ignored. Maybe you're a programmer and you think your
design skills, while not great, are good enough. Maybe you're a business
that just wants a site up quickly/cheaply and doesn't care if it looks
fantastic. Maybe you are a great designer and your site looks and works
great for Windows IE users (i.e., the vast majority) and you just don't
really care if it works well in Netscape or Opera or on a Mac.

> My instructors at school say that the role of the freelancer
> is dieing, and that working in a group in teams is the only way to go.

The role of the jack-of-all-trades may be dying, but the role of the
freelancer, if anything, is growing.

> What are the views of the users on this list? What are some
> solutions? Is there a good way for a freelance designer to
> find a freelance developer to collaborate on projects and
> vice versa? How does it work?

My advice is to network offline (and online) with friends, family,
classmates & colleagues. Usually somebody knows somebody that just so
happens to have the skills you require (think 'six degrees of
separation'). I've never found a gig online, but I do manage to earn a
living working from home as a freelance html/css/javascript coder.

- Wil