[thelist] DNS aliasing

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Mon Oct 20 07:58:20 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed McCarroll" <Ed at ComSimplicity.com>
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 8:26 AM

> I'm trying to set up my development system (Win2K Pro/IIS/IE 6.x)
> so that it mirrors the client's.  I'd like to fix it so that when
> I browse to:
>
>   foo.myDomain.org/bar.html
>
> the domain is automatically redirected to:
>
>   //localhost/myDomain/foo/bar.html

Ed,

Using your hosts file you could direct traffic to foo.myDomain.org to
whatever you want.  If you want it to go back to local host, then you can
set it to 1270.0.1.  Then set up IIS on the development box to respond to
the domain just as you would on the client's server.

The hosts file can be found under

WINNT/System32/Drivers/etc

It's the file called "hosts" (no extension)  Open it with Notepad.

After you add a record (and save the changes) simply close and reopen IE.
When you type the domain into the address bar it'll go to your own box and
you'll be in business so long as you've set up IIS correctly.

HTH,

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.