[thelist] Editing WMV file... what with...for free?

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 12:58:53 CDT 2003

>www.virtualdub.org

......... it will "mung" most things BUT not.... WMV sadly

Mark, I send you the screen dump of the "Microsoft say screw you
.......you can't fiddle about with OUR patented ASF format" error ;)

I HAD though about a VIDEO play out to U-MATIC video and encode it as a
"flexible" format

BUT..... Zwei-Stein Video Editor (
http://www.thugsatbay.com/software/index.html )
"enables you to edit up to 256 video, audio and still image clips,"......

......but it just churned a 30 second WMV file out as a AVI !!!

BINGO.. some deterioration of quality but there are things to play with in this
  bizzarist of packages!!!!

Virtualdub then cropped the start of my sample AVI off too so I can get the
job done!!!!

Lets see what a 1964 newsreel looks like in AVI !!!! Will report back!!!!

Many Thanks

FB