[thelist] FIR and what is aural css for?

Dunstan Orchard dunstan at 1976design.com
Wed Oct 22 15:47:37 CDT 2003

Hi everyone,

I've just been reading Joe Clark's article on FIR at:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fir/

and wondered if anyone can straighten me out on a couple of things:

I always thought that screen readers would be going for the aural css, either
exclusively, or with a bias to it over screen css. Apparently not.

So, do they ignore aural css completely?

If not, can you not undo the FIR rules in an aural css sheet that only the
readers load? So a form of cascade takes effect, with aural css rules trumping
the screen rules.

If screen readers do ignore aural css, what does use it?

Thanks - Dunstan