[thelist] Client Education

Russ russ at unrealisticexpectations.com
Thu Oct 23 10:03:52 CDT 2003

This might come down to how you're gathering your requirements.  There
are a lot of resources--from Cameron S. Foote books to
CreativePublic.com and even other free online resources that you can
find that will help you ask a lot of the right questions up
front--design purpose, audience--as well as help you position your
contracts accordingly.

A well-defined process doesn't hurt--and it depends upon your definition
of prototype here.  Some people would consider a prototype to be a
partially built-out website, others might be considering it a mock-up.
Knowing that would help me to see a more clear picture as to where the
issue might be.  On my end, I wouldn't do a prototype (partially built
website) until I had a sign-off on the designs from the client.

All of these items, and many more will help you become more educated
(please don't take that wrong; I consider myself constantly becoming
educated with each client interaction) and that will assist you in
guiding your clients to guide you.  That's a mouthful, but true, in my
experience.

HTH,

Russ