[thelist] Worm sneaks in whilst WinXP registers?

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Fri Oct 24 07:56:33 CDT 2003

On two separate occasions recently I've had new installs of Windows XP
start spreading welchi the minute the install finishes. (my main machine
firewall complained the minute winXP booted up!)

I think what has happened is that during the initial install (windows is
setting up your network and register windows via the Internet seem likely)
the machine is exposed without firewall or AV and the worm gets in then.

is this feasible?

anyone else seen it?

I ask because I just had my ISP cut me off for 24 hours because of reports
that I was spreading blaster/welchi.

I think it's likely the two new installs that caused it - I cleaned the
machines in question immediately, they're AV'd and firewalled now and
still clean...

Ho hum.

I guess register via the telephone would be a good tip?

;o)

Tony

--
http://www.xebit.net/

Sent with M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=627923