[thelist] Free CMS for magazine-style publishing

evolt at miaridge.com evolt at miaridge.com
Sat Oct 25 12:49:05 CDT 2003

I'm putting together a site for a zine with multiple authors and one or
two editors.  Articles should be grouped by category or by edition.  I
know most CMS products do categories, but does anyone know of any that
allow publication by edition?  That is, each article will be associated
with a particular edition as well as a category.

The required features are:
* magazine-style publication by edition
* ability to create categories
* customisable layout - different layouts for different kinds of article.
In most categories it would be a basic three column plus header and footer
page.
* security - should be securable, with no known exploits in current
versions
* free (the zine is a labour of love)
* basic workflow or at least basic staging (e.g. draft/published status)
* valid and accessible HTML/XHTML if possible
* MySQL, PHP, Perl or Python.

I've considered xaraya and postnuke.  I use Movable Type for blogging but
it's not suitable for this.  I've been googling and reading various CMS
sites for a while, but I haven't found a definitive recommendation yet.

If people would rather reply off-list I'd be happy to summarise the

<tip type="Oracle, databases" author="Mia Ridge">Oracle offer free
downloads of their database products for personal use, allowing you to
become learn and become familiar with a high-end database.  However, the
supplied applications can be overwhelming for beginners. Free for personal
use, TOra (http://www.globecom.se/tora/) is a feature-packed 'Toolkit For
Oracle' and a great way to get started.</tip>