[thelist] XHTML1.1 Validation errors with Javascript

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Sun Oct 26 01:40:38 CST 2003

Tim Burgan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having problem. I've created a webpage to teach myself the basics
> of JavaScript (or programming in general).
>
> With my JavaScript, if I create an external (javascript.src) file and
> link it to my XHTML [1], my site validates with the W3C. But, if I
> have the JavaScript embedded in my XHTML document [2], I cant
> validate.
>
> What's going on - why is this?

Encapsulate your embedded javascript with
<![CDATA[ /*javascript goes here*/ ]]> tags, and it should validate.

<script type="text/javascript">
<![CDATA[

]]>
</script>

The reason it is not validating is because all those < and & characters
have special meaning in XML (and by extension, XHTML).

Hope this helps,
--
Burhan Khalid
thelist[at]meidomus[dot]com