[thelist] how to disable the return key in web forms?

|| cira || cira at bork.hampshire.edu
Thu Oct 30 15:01:53 CST 2003

You can catch any key pressed inside a page with the event handler
onKeyPress(). From there, you can figure out which key was pressed and
what to do if return was pressed. For example,

if (window.event.keyCode == 13) { // if key was the return key
     // if focus of form is at the end, submit form

     // else do nothing
}

If I'm not mistaken, the JavaScript / keycodes are slightly different for
Netscape / IE. I don't know how many browsers you want this to work for,
but I would suggest doing some research online. Here are some links to get
you started.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/obj_event.asp
http://www.webreference.com/programming/java_dhtml/chap8/2/2.html
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/enter.html

Just found that example above, although I'm not sure how good it is.

Hope that helps.

-Samantha