[thelist] Language Detection vrs. Splash Screen

kent mail at kentrygiel.com
Mon Nov 3 10:26:56 CST 2003

Hopefully I'm not repeating a thread here but surprisingly I couldn't find
anything comprehensive about this issue: Languages.

A client wants to serve up both an English and French version of a website.
We do not want to default to English with the thinking that this might
"offend" our French audience, for lack of a better word. So we have two

1. A splash page with language choice/selection.
2. Utilize a script to detect the default langauge set on the user's
browser.

So, I am wondering how effective it is to rely on detection of the language
setting of the user's browser. I have noticed that none of the big websites
(IBM nor al.) give me a French page when I change the language option in my
browser. Does anyone know why this language detection is not utilized more
often?

As for a splash page, I tend to dislike adding this extra step for entering
a site. But in order to deal with this language issue, is this the
recommended course of action? I need the site to be search engine- friendly,
which is another reason why I want to avoid a splash page.

If anyone would reply to directly to me, I can post a summary.

Thanks,

Kent