[thelist] png in IE

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Mon Nov 3 11:56:43 CST 2003

Marcus Andersson wrote:
> I have these icons in png format and want to make use of them in IE. The
> icons have transparent backgrounds that works nicely in
> Mozilla/Photoshop. When I use them in IE I get this ugly grey background
> instead of the transparent one.
>
> Should I do anything special to make it work or should I consider to
> convert the icons to gif?

IE for Windows doesn't support alpha-transparent PNGs, despite the
standard having been finalised over 5 years ago. There is a workaround
but it's weird voodoo magic - still, it might be just what you're after:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/

If that isn't suitable you'll have to switch back to transparent gifs.

--
Simon Willison
Web development weblog: http://simon.incutio.com/