[thelist] Language Detection vrs. Splash Screen

Ken Chase raskenbo at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 3 22:02:50 CST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:11:08 -0500, "Norman Bunn"
<norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com> said:

> Finally, I
> would avoid the splash page altogether.  Since most web sites are in
> English, it should not offend someone if it starts that way, and if it
> starts in French, I would not be offended either; I'd just look for the
> "English" option button.

Using/not using a splash page is one thing. However, being from a
bilingual country, I know that a large and vocal group would be offended
by one language being the "default" over another. It may in fact go
against Government policy.

If permitted I think that the best solution is to offer both (all)
languages on the "home" page with the option to "switch" languages on
every page.

On the other hand, It really depends on who your target audience is, who
the site is for (policy/laws) and what country  you're from.

My 2 cents,
kenbo