[thelist] History of domain registration

Norman MacLeod gaelwolf at waypt.com
Tue Nov 4 10:29:59 CST 2003

Roel -

Be very careful with this one...

When a domain name expires, there's a long grace period between the time of
expiration and the time that the domain is actually released to the public
for new registration.  Typically, a domain registrar will start notifying
the domain registrant that the domain is up for renewal two or three months
before the expiration date.  If the registrant doesn't pay their annual fee
prior to the domain's expiration date, the registrar will inactivate the
domain, usually two days to as much as a month after the expiration date.
Then follows a six-eight week grace period where the domain is in suspended
status, but can be reactivated by the registrant simply paying their annual
fee.

So the "old" registrant, if they ever registered the domain, had somewhere
between at least two to five months to pay their annual fee.

You could contact ICANN at their site to see if they will provide you with
the registration history for the domain, but I don't know if they will
provide that information to you unless you are placed in arbitration in
regard to the name.

If your domain name does enter the dispute process, you will need to prove
that the name is connected to some form of business that you are doing, that
you are not infringing on a registered trade or service mark owned by the
business wanting to claim the name from you, and that you are not using the
domain in a manner that damages the other company's name.

Another thing you can do is contact the company that claims to have
registered the name in the past and require them to provide you with a
photocopy of the last domain name registration invoice and the registrar's
confirmation that they paid for their registration.  If they do provide
these documents to you, then contact the registrar to request confirmation
that the documents are verifiable, and that the other company did, indeed,
have the name registered at one time.

	Norman