[thelist] tracking a url

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 10:48:35 CST 2003

Hi folks,

I have a situation where a parent company web site is linking to some
of its own company web sites that are other brands. So for example,
on web site "Main" we have this link:

There are about 4 of these, each one different. The issue is the Main
company wants to track how many people click this link and where they
go. I believe we have Web Trends running for the Main site.

They suggested having a 'redirect' page that passes the link of the
company ("companyA") the user clicked. So an asp that gets that value
in the URL, where it can be tracked, then using a redirect to send
them to that page.

Is it me or is this really stupid? Shouldn't web trends be able to
track that the above HREF was an exit link? I'm not up to speed on
web trends yet but I know its fairly robust.

The key is they want to know how many times somebody clicked that
link and left the site - and *which* site they went to. It seems to
me this redirect page is unnecessary... what do you all think?

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: JavaScript Author / Every Friday!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ :: Eternal Life

"I'll ho ho and ha ha you!" (Daffy Duck)