[thelist] Follow-up on my showModalDialog problems...

Chris George cgeorge at basecorp.com
Thu Nov 6 09:32:46 CST 2003

Well, it's a fullscreen learning module - the reason they went with the
showModalDialog is that it will always be "on top" (it's an IE-only app,
so the learning module is IE-only) - no problems with focus, etc on a
typical pop-up style window.

I think they had expected you to be able to navigate from the
modalDialog without closing it, kind of like a built-in help window.
IMHO (which isn't worth much when I'm not the one paying for the
project), the functionality is better this way...

> ewww.  (no offense)

Oh? Why? From the documents I read about the eval command, I didn't
think I was misusing it...

> instead of writing out a statement to get executed, you could
> have just set the window.returnValue to the link string.
> then, do something like:
>
> if(detWin)
>   parent.innerNav(detWin);
>
> if you really need the alert(), put it in an else statement.

I like that! I'll give it a shot. Thanks!