[thelist] odd IE worm or something..

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Sun Nov 9 18:05:15 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "michael ensor" <edc at wnc.quik.co.nz>

> have you tried disabling Windows messenger?

For everyone's information, this isn't the MSN Messenger, but the Windows XP
service...

http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/31954.html

Which is used by network people in corporate environments...

http://www.silicon.com/research/specialreports/thespamreport/0,39025001,39116798,00.htm
=====================================================================+

People with Microsoft Windows on their PCs should turn off a little-used
feature that could allow unscrupulous marketers to bombard them with
unwanted pop-up ads, US regulators said on Thursday.
Windows users should disable a backdoor communications channel called
Windows Messenger Service to prevent unscrupulous marketers from filling
their screens with unwanted ads, the Federal Trade Commission said.

The FTC said it had temporarily shut down one marketer, D Squared Solutions.
The San Diego-based company had been selling pop-up blocking software
through pop-up ads that could appear even when users were online but not
browsing the web.

Howard Beales, the head of the FTC's consumer protection division said:
"'I'll beat you, and I'll stop beating you, if you pay.' We call that
extortion, and it's no different in the high tech world."

(snip)

Consumers can find out how to disable Windows Messenger at the FTC's
website.

-Jorah

{rant style="whine"}

PS: Please, please, please, please PLEASE remember to trim replies! There is
no need to quote more than a line or two to give a clue as to which part of
the original you are replying to... all of us HAVE the originals, remember!

{/rant}