[thelist] IE 6.05 news (?)

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Nov 10 21:20:38 CST 2003

From: "Peter-Paul Koch" <gassinaumasis at hotmail.com>
Subject: [thelist] IE 6.05 news (?)

:
: I just read this piece
:
http://www.winnetmag.com/windowspaulthurrott/Article/ArticleID/40785/windowspaulthurrott_40785.html
:
: on a Windows online magazine, which says that Explorer 6.05
: will be released in the first half of 2004. It will have some
: security patches, and it will (according to this article)
: definitely include popup blocking.
:
: The most interesting point, however, is that this short
: note does not mention the famous Eolas Plugin Alert
: at all. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I do not
: believe that Microsoft will include this alert in a real
: Explorer version, because such an action would be
: impossible to explain to the average user.

Certainly I do not believe that the Eolas Plugin Alert will be included
until all legal avenues have been exhausted...

Even then, I would imagine that Microsoft would not want to roll it out too
aggresively (ie, not via a Service Pack if it can avoid it), for exactly the
reason you specify.

However, Microsoft isn't going to blatantly ignore the law just because it's
difficult to explain something to users. That'd be irresponsible
management - I'm pretty sure the owners (aka shareholders) will be pretty
p*ssed if Microsoft has to pay some huge fine for breaking the law.

Cheers
Ken

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server (IIS)