[thelist] Native website authentication - IIS 5

Tab Alleman Tab.Alleman at MetroGuide.com
Tue Nov 11 08:39:43 CST 2003

Ken Schaefer wrote:

> Ok, I did this, using Integrated Windows Authentication, and when I go
> to the site in IE, I get the pop-up, and I login with what should be
> correct information.  But when I click ok, I get a Cannot find server
> or DNS Error page.  Any ideas why?
> --
>
> That indicates that the browser cannot contact the server - are you
> doing some kind of redirect on the server that's going to some other
> address or port that the browser cannot reach?
>
> Cheers
> Ken

I am using my hosts file to force the computer to use the website on my
local box when I go to this particular URL.  Does enabling
Authentication somehow cause the browser to go around the host file and
use the web, because this is a URL that doesn't exist on the Internet.
If so, is there any way to have my hosts file and authentication too?