[thelist] OT: Windows 2000 Networking

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Thu Nov 13 08:02:25 CST 2003

David Mitchell wrote:

> 3) Windows 2000 pro - sees above 2, but can't see new machine (4)
> 4) Windows 2000 pro (new machine) - sees (1) and (2) but can't see (3)
>
> All all using the same protocols and are members of the same workgroup. The
> only anomaly I can think of is (3) is a laptop and is on a wireless
> connection. My router is set up to serve DHCP. Maybe this could be the
> factor?

Some APs also do DHCP by default. It sounds like these two machines
are being given the same IP address, which could happen if two DHCP
servers are running simultaneously and using the same address pool.

In any case, grab a copy of Nmap <http://insecure.org/>; it'll help
give you a picture of what addresses are active, etc. And a copy of
Ethereal <http://ethereal.com/> would also be helpful.

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.