[thelist] Best SERVER Software Firewall

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Sun Nov 16 20:11:00 CST 2003

"Joshua Olson" <joshua at waetech.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the list.  Any experiences with them?

I've used Tiny Software's Winroute firewall/router software for the past few
years.  It had no problems running on an old 366 celeron running win98.  This
was just a home solution, before security became an issue :)

Since then, I have followed the software over to the new owners, Kerio.  I
went out and bought myself a cheap second hand machine for $40 and now have a
"dedicated" firewall running as good as many of the retail hardware setups
with a bit more flexability.  (i use a few windose apps to monitor/log the
traffic levels

It is not all that great if you looking for something that works at an
application level, but most of the hardware firewall are also limited in this
fashion.  The advantage of this is that if the unit falls over, I can simple
replace the unit with another PC and copy the settings back.  It had no
problems keeping up with my broadband surfing but I my not have a fast enough
connection to test the speeds you may be looking at.
---
Michael Pemberton
evolt at mpember.net.au