[thelist] ASP.NET repeater conditions

noah noah at tookish.net
Mon Nov 17 21:44:58 CST 2003

Hi,

I'm teaching myself ASP.NET (using C#) -- it's my first shot at an OO
language, so I'm struggling a bit.

I have a page that pulls data from a database and displays it using a
Repeater control. This works. Where I'm running into trouble is trying to
conditionally modify what shows up on the page based on what comes out of
the database. Here's what I have:

<asp:Repeater id="EventList" runat="server">
<ItemTemplate>
   <h1><%# Convert.ToString(DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "title"))
%>: <%# Convert.ToString(DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "subtitle"))
%></h1>

The thing is that the "subtitle" doesn't necessarily exist (it can be NULL)
-- if it doesn't exist, what prints now is:

"Title: "

Obviously, this doesn't work -- what I need to do is test if "subtitle"
exists, and print "Title: Subtitle" if it does and just "Title" if it doesn't.

I'm pretty sure I could work this out using some old-fashioned procedural
code, but I'm trying to do this the right way :-).

I've found some examples describing how to do something similar with a
DataGrid, but I haven't been able to extrapolate this to work with a
Repeater. I'm pretty sure I need to use "OnItemDataBound," but the syntax
has me stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Noah