[thelist] permalinks and organizing content

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 14:40:21 CST 2003

Hi,

I'm currently working on a redesign and my site uses pMachine[1] as
its' blogging engine.

Anyway, my site is/will be a mix of both blog posts and then more
in-depth articles which I'd like to keep separate. In addition I have
the run of the mill content like about, portfolio and so on.

What I really want to have happen is a system not unlike A List
Apart[2] uses (as well as many blogs) where blog entries and articles
have permalinks. These very nice looking links usually look like so:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors2/
http://www.simplebits.com/archives/2003/11/12/curiosity_cured.html

This either means that said article page[s] are in a directory called
slidingdoors2 - or they are doing some fancy URL rewriting.

On the one hand I worry about so many folders being created (should
I?) and wonder how much work it is. But I do like and want this kind
of system.

Am I stuck using some kind of self-written CMS to do this or is this
doable using a commercial product like pMachine?

TIA

Tom

[1] http://www.pmachine.com/
[2] http://www.alistapart.com/

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: JavaScript Author / Every Friday!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ :: Eternal Life

"I'll ho ho and ha ha you!" (Daffy Duck)