[thelist] Java... error when Sun JRE is not installed.

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Nov 20 10:05:55 CST 2003

Hello,

I am building a very simple Java applet that exposes public methods that I'm
trying to execute via JavaScript.  When I run the applet on a client that
has Sun JRE installed it works fine.  When it's using MS's Java Viewer on a
machine without Sun's JRE I am seeing the following error in the java
console:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: MyClass
 at com/ms/vm/loader/URLClassLoader.loadClass
 at com/ms/vm/loader/URLClassLoader.loadClass
 at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.securedClassLoad
 at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent
 at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent
 at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.run
 at java/lang/Thread.run

Any ideas how to make the code cross-platform compatible.

FYI, I'm including the applet using the following code:

<applet name="MyClassApplet" id="MyClassApplet" width="1000" height="1000"
code="MyClass.class">

Your browser is not able to run Java applets. This is probably due to having
Java disabled in your browser settings.

</applet>

I'm executing the public method using the following JS:

document.getElementById("MyClassApplet").methodName();

This works great with Sun's JRE, not at all using MS's viewer.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.