[thelist] Have I got my sums right?

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Nov 20 21:59:14 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Price" <chris.price at speed-mail.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 7:57 PM

> I have 3 floating divs and the 3rd one is dropping below the other 2.
>
> I've added up the widths and I make the total to be 97% of the parent div.
>
> Are my sums right and will IE Win do what I want if they are?
>
> The page is: http://choctaw.co.uk/

The 3 div's still have single pixel borders.  Make sure you account for the
borders in your calculations.  Since you said everything added up to 97%,
I'm guessing you didn't account for the 6 pixels that the borders will
stretch the design. Your best bet is to doubly embed the divs...

Set up your borderless, paddingless, and marginless div's with the widths
you want.  Then within each one place a div that has no defined width but
does define the padding, margin, and border.  You can use any units (pixels,
ems, %) you want since you'll not be specifying a width.  If you do this
(and I mentioned this before when you first posted this issue) your problems
will be lessened if not eliminated.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.