[thelist] Hi Jackers

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Nov 20 23:54:49 CST 2003

Unless a website exploits an unpatched browser, the only other way is by
getting the user to agree to it (eg a javascript popup or similar).

Other ways that are common include installing software (such as ActiveX
controls). For example, installing Kazaa (which is a popular file sharing
app) also results in various bits of spyware etc being installed on your
machine.

If you install an application, you really have no definitive way of knowing
all the changes that it'll make to your system. You have to rely on the word
of the vendor.

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "[tom jaimz]" <jaimz at netspace.net.au>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 4:41 PM
Subject: RE: [thelist] Hi Jackers

I'm more interested in -how- websites can hijack your home page.  Does
anyone know how they do it?  Not that I'd encourage that kind of behaviour..
but AFAIK the only method to set a users homepage is via a JavaScript that
uses a confirmation window.  However I've had my home page hijacked in the
past, but I certainly haven't accepted any JavaScript home page changes..