[thelist] window.self question

michael grover mike at michaelgrover.com
Mon Nov 24 11:43:11 CST 2003

Certain paid-for links on my site are getting hammered by spiders.  I
have the idea that I can hide the links behind javascript and thwart the
more stupid spiders.  But, I can't figure out how to use javascript in
such a way that it won't go about opening a new window.

Here's what I start with:
false;">Paid-for link</a>.

Now, I thought that I could change window.open to window.self and I'd be
just fine.  But, it doesn't do it.

Any ideas?  Or, any other ideas for how I can obfuscate these links from
  spiders while still making them usable by humans?

Thanks,

Mike.