[thelist] Is Yahoo worth it?

liorean liorean at f2o.org
Wed Nov 26 09:03:12 CST 2003

Rob Smith wrote:
>>Is it worth it to pay to be listed in yahoo?
> I doubt that that is the correct question. The correct question might be:
> Is it worth it to pay to be listed in Google. :-\ Perform a search in Yahoo.
> On the page of the results, scroll down to the bottom. Tell the class what
> you see.
> It's a sad day when you use your competitors products,

First of all, Yahoo! has always used external search engines for their
non-directory searches. It's only recently (meaning it was this
millennium.) they changed to not have directory searches as default.
Powering their searches has been an auction, which Google has won for a
sequence of years.

However, this is probably the reason they bought Inktomi, don't you think?
Google won't power Yahoo! forever, just until Yahoo! feel another
provider, or they themselves, can provide a search feature that is on
par with the Google one, for about the same expense.

--
liorean <mailto:liorean at user.bip.net>

ViewStyles, ViewScripts, ToggleStyles and GraphicsInfo bookmarklets and
Theme Switcher, Cookies Handler scripts:
<http://liorean.web-graphics.com/>