[thelist] Phone Systems for Work-at-Homes/One Phone Line

Gina Anderson gina at sitediva.com
Sun Nov 30 15:45:00 CST 2003

Hi all, need some input on phone systems. I have one phone line and, right
now, it's not worth paying the extra money for another line strictly for
business. I work mostly with other firms and my communication is 99% email.
However, I'm working with a certain client directly, who surprises me with
phone calls. One Saturday I got a call while in the middle of fixing dinner,
"yello?"... Hardly professional.

Making a long story short, I have distinctive ring and now have three ring
tones. One for home, fax, and now business. Problem is, I can't seem to find
a phone system that matches my needs. I'm having trouble with the answering
machine part of the features. If I'm not home, I want the phone system to
differentiate between a business call and a personal call, by the ring, and
play a greeting message accordingly. I can only seem to find systems that
will let me designate a fax number, but play only one greeting and do a
mailbox thing....which is useless to me. I'd also LOVE the system to be
expandable, meaning I can have numerous handsets that don't require a phone
line, just an outlet.

Anyone have a similar situation and find a nice solution? Any solution you
found will do, I'm open to about anything right now.

Thanks,
Gina