[thelist] Privacy policy

Simon Perry simon.perry at si-designs.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 11:19:53 CST 2003

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

>... and another thing :-)
>
>I can't remember if I've asked this before.
>
>I want to write a privacy policy for a new site, but I don't want to rip
>one off of someone elses site .. that would be wrong. And probably it
>would result it something inappropriate and that might miss some key
>areas.
>
>Do people sell template policies, or is there somewhere I can fill in some
>forms and have a policy thrown back at me?

John,

Ideally you will be best off creating a P3P [1] privacy policy as this
will give you a structured, complaint, platform independent policy
document.

Last time I created one I used a free tool downloaded from IBM[2], although
they now seem to charge 500 dollars! There is mention of a no-charge Tivoli
online one but the link is broken[3]! I also came across another site that
has some info and links with two possible in the free to 50 dollar
bracket[3].

Simon

[1] http://www.w3.org/P3P/

[2] http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/p3peditor