[thelist] Windows XP network help

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 12:47:58 CST 2003

At 14:41 01/12/2003, Sam Carter wrote
>We've got a new Windows XP client on a Microsoft Network.  The other clients
>are Windows 2000.
>
>It ran just fine for 2 days, then powered down (by itself??).

Did it "fall" or did it "get pushed", could the user have gotten into a "jam"?

>After rebooting, it tries to connect to other shared folders on the network
>and *always* requests the username / password to connect.

Connect to the LAN or the shared resources? Is the machine set to single or
multiple user default and is it set to prompt for a password?

Virus infection?

Q1 your PC or does it belong to someone else?

Q2 Has someone set the thing to allow offline access? (will this need to
refresh on reboot?)

Q3 Has it got anything set up as favourites/places on the remote network
PCs? (any effect?)

Q4 Have any items on the remote PCs been set to load on boot up?

>Isn't it supposed to remember the username / password?

The LAN I am part of requests passwords when "re-visiting" shared resources
on other PCs after a reboot ( Net is a mish-mash of win2k prof, Win 98SE,
XP Pro,
everything from 3.0 GHz machines to 350 Pentiums!)