[thelist] Print Page Dimensions

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Tue Dec 2 12:38:20 CST 2003

I remember a thread a couple of years back discussing this. I did some
tests and put it out to the list, but couldn't arrive at any standard. I
spoke to a collegue who used to write printer drivers, and he confirmed
that there is no standard, the margin defaults that the printer requires
will vary between manufacturers, and even between models. Not to mention
user preferences, scaling etc.
As far as rules of thumb go: if a page width needs to be fixed at all, a
sub 620px wide page might be your safest bet. If you are willing to play
the odds a little, most systems will fit ~660px.

Sam