[thelist] Windows XP network help

Sam Carter scforum at iness.com
Fri Dec 5 06:25:04 CST 2003

John,

I don't know why I didn't see your post until today.  Many thanks to you and
to the others who have responded.

The problem still persists.  Here are answers to your questions.

Q1 - This PC belongs to another employee - the company President / (small
company).  Not likely anything malicious going on here.

Q2 - I don't know what offline access is.  It is probably not enabled.

Q3 - There are some network mappings to folders on 3 other Windows 2000
clients.  These fail to login at boot time but succeed when user/pass are
entered at prompt.

Q4 - There's lots of stuff loaded, Office, ACT, nothing exotic to my
knowledge - but I've never met anyone that actually knows what most of the
startup software actually does.  Anything I should look for?

I may need to Format the hard drive and start over this weekend unless a fix
is found.

Sam