[thelist] Windows XP network help

John C Bullas (soton.ac.uk relay) jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Fri Dec 5 08:54:05 CST 2003

>Never simply take it that something is disabled in windows. Things like
>Remote Assistance etc are enabled by default for instance, something which
>I have always found highly irresponsable of our friends in Redmond.

And messaging so you can get messages from all these sad lonely ladies you
have never met ;)

Run Adaware or another spyware sniffer too...

>I just read you original post for the first time. I take it this is a
>windows pre-installed pc, but maybe you could have a look at the acpi
>settings (power settings). Also check the BIOS, see if there's anything
>like auto power-off enabled oslt.
>Flash the BIOS, either with a current image or with a new upgrade.

If you get BIOS flashing wrong the motherboard will be scrap..( did it
once) .. exercise caution when you attempt to do the equivalent of
PC-obstetrics :)

>IMHO, reformatting and reinstalling is the last resort. I'd want to know
>what caused this, and a format will not make this clear to you. You have
>no way of knowing if the problem will arise again after this procedure ....

Amen...

Transportation Group
School of Civil Engineering and the Environment
University of Southampton UK

**** Eudora Mail 6.0.0.22  + McAfee Virus Scan 4.5.1 ****