[thelist] XML and the Degree Sign

Scott Brady evolt at scottbrady.net
Tue Dec 9 10:03:24 CST 2003

I'm working on a ColdFusion application that has some pages (which I
didn't write) that utilize XML and XSLT to present data pulled from a
database.  We have some data that includes the degree symbol (ASCII 176)
and XML seems to be choking on that.  We already use XMLFormat() on the
data that should take care of any characters XML can't handle.

Trying to view the generatred XML page in a browser (IE5.5, on which the
intranet this app runs is standardized) results in a page that says the
XML page can not be displayed ("An invalid character was found in text
content")..

Other than stripping out the degree symbols in the data first (which is
a bit of a kluge and leads to a time when I see us having to strip out
other characters), is there something else we can try?

Scott