[thelist] "spamminess" site check - realtymort.com

Greg Farries greg at mapleleafweb.com
Tue Dec 9 18:06:21 CST 2003

Steve wrote:
> 1) The Site Map is brand-spanking new (as in, "yesterday"), so that's
> not part of the issue.  I added that in attempt to alleviate the
> problem.  Bad move or good move?

Good move, but make sure not to go overboard and include to many links.
According to the "Webmaster Guidelines"
[http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html] at google,

	- Make a site with a clear hierarchy and text links.
	Every page should be reachable from at least one static
	text link.
	- Offer a site map to your users with links that point to
	the important parts of your site. If the site map is larger
	than 100 or so links, you may want to break the site map
	into separate pages.

You might want to check out, http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20020106.html

> 2) There are two domains pointing to the same site, so that may be
> part of the problem (but wasn't before).
> <http://www.aptrentals.com/> goes to the same site.

Why not just forward traffic from aptrentals.com to realtymort.com and avoid
the whole issue of multiple domains with the same content?  According to
google,

	- Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with
	substantially duplicate content.

For more information, check out,

> More generally, do you all know of a good source of "search engine
> optimization" advice?

http://www.webmasterworld.com
http://searchenginewatch.com/
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Internet/Searching/