[thelist] More on Search Engines

Mark Howells mark at mark.ac
Wed Dec 10 03:23:46 CST 2003

> when it comes to search engine ranking, imo, it comes down to the same
> old
> thing that's the draw for real-live viewers, content, content, content.
> look at evolt.org.  zero search engine promotion.  yet there are
> numerous
> search terms that we come up in the top 5 results.

I'd have to agree with this point.  I have never actively promoted my
site (http://www.mark.ac/) or my current work projects with search
engines in mind, yet a logical and valid (X)HTML structure and
"proper", engine-friendly links - no "click here" links - ensure that
my sites are high in the listings for their categories. Viz:

Mark Howells Online
http://www.google.com/search?q=photos+of+switzerland
http://www.google.com/search?q=journal+switzerland
http://www.google.com/search?q=weblog+switzerland

Gossweiler Media
http://www.google.com/search?q=zeitung+interlaken

Alpenregion.ch
http://www.google.com/search?q=restaurant+brienz

As Jeff says: focus on content, rather than elaborate programming
solutions, to get a good result.  That is the best and IMO only decent
solution.

Best regards
Mark Howells
http://www.mark.ac/