[thelist] More on Search Engines

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Wed Dec 10 14:29:29 CST 2003

I'll try to keep this short...

On Wednesday, December 10, 2003, at 06:32  AM, Russ wrote:

>>> Granted, I'm making some semi-educated guesses here, but these guys
>>> appear to be legitimately beating the system by fooling any
>>> relatively
>>> modern browser into not seeing the copy.
>>
>> Not legitimate. The SE's don't like any text that is deliberately
>> written for the SE's and hidden to users.
>
> But, as far as I can tell, a spider won't be able to recognize that
> this
> is happening.
>
> It might not APPEAR to be legit to the rest of the planet, but I'm
> pretty sure a spider cannot pick up on

I think this is becoming an argument over the meaning of the word
"legitimate".  Armed robbery quite often works, but is not a
"legitimate" way to make money.  You're not _supposed_ to do things
aimed a search engines that are hidden from end users; or to put it
another way, if you have to conceal it, it's probably not legit.   Now
please excuse me while I find a place to hide Christmas presents... ;)

Steve Rider