[thelist] More on Search Engines

Russ russ at unrealisticexpectations.com
Wed Dec 10 16:18:25 CST 2003

> I think this is becoming an argument over the meaning of the word
> "legitimate".  Armed robbery quite often works, but is not a
> "legitimate" way to make money.  You're not _supposed_ to do things
> aimed a search engines that are hidden from end users; or to put it
> another way, if you have to conceal it, it's probably not
> legit.   Now
> please excuse me while I find a place to hide Christmas presents... ;)

I think you're right and I'll clarify over my use of the word
"legitimate".

It doesn't appear that doing this is anything that could be flagged as
wrong--so it appears to me to be legitimate.  That, and I'm not an SEO
guy.

However, I do think it is, indeed, a "dirty trick" but the way it's set
up is so that it's pretty difficult to find unless an SEO guy asks
someone who is able to dig through the mud a bit and figure out what
they did.

Sorry if I used that incorrectly (I'm pretty sure I did), but what
they're doing doesn't immediately set off any alarms...blah blah blah...

Just saying.

Russ