[thelist] Re: parking domains

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Wed Dec 10 22:02:00 CST 2003

Quoth "Roger Harness" <magic32 at jps.net>

> Folks...quick question. A friend is going to have his site published in
> january sometime. But i dont even thing he knows who's going to host it
> yet.  [...] Is that the only way to safe-guard his website name??

Registering the domain is the only way to ensure he'll have it
when he wants it.  He can register it with any of many registries
or their resellers, and then put it anywhere he pleases -- but if
it's not registered yet, and someone else has the same brainstorm,
they can put it anywhere THEY please and your friend is out of
luck.  It's just that simple.

He'll also need DNS; a domain does not exist until it has DNS from
two servers.  The DNS doesn't have to point anywhere interesting;
those servers just have to say "Yeah, that domain exists" if
they are asked about it.

See http://www.handsonhowto.com/dns101.html  (I ought to
break this down -- there's still a lot I can do to make it
simpler.  Comments -- and followup questions! -- welcomed.)