[thelist] HMTL Email

Mark Howells mark at mark.ac
Thu Dec 11 02:16:44 CST 2003

>> Yes, that old arguing point again.  It's essential that I apply some
>> kind of formatting to an HTML email - text colour and margins, mainly
>> - and I can't get it to respond to CSS, whether it's inline (on a
>> span) or in the head of the email.  Works fine in Apple Mail, but
>> Entourage and Outlook Express - both Mac - ignore it.

Thanks for the response.  I spent the better part of yesterday evening
reading and testing; it seems that these mail clients accept CSS
formatting defined in the head of a standard HTML template, but it only
kicks in with "full HTML" layout when it encounters a non-textual HTML
element, such as a table or image tag.  If you only work with headings
and paragraphs, the mail client decides that it doesn't need to render
in full HTML and thus doesn't bother parsing the CSS.

Ironically, font tags work just fine either way :-(

Regards
Mark Howells
http://www.mark.ac/