[thelist] Site check - with a twist

Andy Budd andy at message.uk.com
Fri Dec 12 04:01:49 CST 2003

On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 03:12 AM, Gary McPherson wrote:

> Hey all!
>
> This request is a little different from the norm - I'm not asking you
> to review my own work. I have a friend who's setting up his own small
> business and asked me to do some backend development for the site he's
> put together. Anyway, I had a look at what he's done so far and...
> well, I think I'll let you see for yourselves.
>
> Having shared my own views, I feel that he doesn't take my criticism
> as seriously as he needs to due to us being friends, so what I want is
> a 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, nth) opinion that I can take back to him, to show
> that I'm not just being bitchy about what he's done.

With most sites that come up for a site check it's easy to give
constructive criticism because they are mostly good but would benefit
from some tweaking. In fact in my experience the better the site the
more constructive feedback you get.

With truly bad sites it's impossible to know where to begin and this is
definitely the category your friends site falls in to. Basically this
site does your friend no favours. In fact it would be better for them
to have no site at all than what they currently have. People are
increasingly web savvy. They know what is good and professional and
what is poor and amateurish. They will associate the values and quality
of your site with the values and quality of your service. If I were
looking for a "whatever it is your friends site is supposed to do"
seeing that site would help me out greatly as it would immediately
remove them from my list of companies under consideration. If their
site is so unprofessional, I'd imagine there services are as well.

Andy Budd

http://www.message.uk.com/