[thelist] panoramic views

Ryan Tames rytames at telusplanet.net
Fri Dec 12 06:23:47 CST 2003

On 12 Dec 2003 at 5:31, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

Hi.

The most used is quickTime 4++ VR, which allows mouse movements
and furthger exploring via hyperlinks. Exporting an interactive
quick time movie in flash (I gather ) saves it in the quicktime VR format.

the are lots of applications to build panoramic images. I have a
review of Uleads Cool 360: http://pocketdv.tames.2y.net/reviews/cool360/

but, it is not the only way to do it (there about 10 other panaromic creation
tools). but, i am sorry I have no links set up.

You can use a 3D editor too. first by measurig the angel of each photograph,
in relation to the starting position. and then on a 3d plane, beginning from the
initial photo, place the other photos, on the same plane. aligning it with the
overlap of the photo before it.

you will want to twist the overlapped photo the amount of degrees you
recorded (in relation to the first photograph). the reason you do this,
is really to align the initial focus of the first photo in the pan, with all
the other photos (on a flat plane).

with in the 3d editor, you can do what ever animation, with camera movement.

of course you will want to manipulate the frame size.

I don't have after effects, but I read one can do it in after effects as well,
with video clips.

Other ways:

-- You can use an image editor, first by setting the apps auto
colour/brightness/contrasts/blur settings on the first photo. and
then place each other photos over lapping areas, in retrospect to each other.

You can transform each photo, to allow proper propesctive. (such as
with the 3D planes).

the auto settings, you set on the first photo, will be used on 'every photo'
u before you begin to place it. this is to make each photo as close to
exact colour and brightness as possible.

afterwards, you can do whatever with it. cut into frames of a panning video,
or open it up with your 3D render, use that huge flat photo to cover
the inside of a (proper sized) cylinder for instance, and animate the camera
movements.

i have not written a tutorial yet, but i will someday.

have fun!