[thelist] Need to crack my own zip password

Ryan Tames rytames at telusplanet.net
Sun Dec 14 02:54:21 CST 2003

On 12 Dec 2003 at 23:04, Tim Luoma wrote:

I'll give you a few hints:

-- any zip password deleter will work. Why? Becouse its always
in the same place in a file. The only thing you need to do to remove
the password protection, is either change a value in the file, or,
delete the string.

-- If your storing confidental information, always, always, always use
encryption software such as PGP. If that information is really really
confidental, never let any of it even touch a hard drive (even though you
may think it was deleted; Really the magnetic representation of the
information, is still there - sure to read it, you need powerful expensive
equipment, but still).

-- to obscure the information enough to be classified as unreadable,
you need to over write the area on the hard disk an odd number of times,
that range in the millions. And that , _needs_ to be with random bits.

I could go on, but I am unsure about the explicited details. I think
it has to do either with:

1) Magentic fields and frequencies layering on top of each other.
2) Magentic fields and frequencies not being written in the exact locations.
3) Magentic fields and frequencies mixing, kinda like audio.

or maybe alittle bit of all the above.