[thelist] Parsing *.htm on an IIS (5.0) server

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sun Dec 14 01:49:51 CST 2003

From: "John C Bullas" <jcbullas at nildram.co.uk>
Subject: [thelist] Parsing *.htm on an IIS (5.0) server

: I seem to have only been left with the issue of how
: to get *.htm extensions to parse on an IIS (5.0) server
: to which I only have FTP rights!
:
: What file (equiv to .htaccess) holds the magic words?
: and what could I put in there to get my wish?
:
: ALSO since CHMOD appears not to appear in its vocabulary
: how to do CHMOD in Redmond speak?

Q1) What do you mean by "parse"?

If you want that extension mapped to an ISAPI extension, then either:
a) you need to be an administrator (you can either use the GUI tools, or the
adustil.vbs command line tool)
    -or-
b) the hosting company needs to make some kind of tool available to you (eg
some kind of web based frontend that runs with the appropriate permissions
to make the changes). You can't do it yourself via some kind of config file.

Q2) CHMOD only works on *nix machines. There you have three basic sets of
permissions - you, your group and the world. NTFS permissions work very
differently. Each user and/or each group that exists on the machine, and the
domain in which the machine resides can be granted/denied permissions. That
makes a tool like CHMOD unsuitable for manipulating permissions (since the
ACL on the folder/file might have several dozen groups listed). Why do you
need to change permissions?

Also, it is quite unusual that an IIS hosted site wouldn't be available via
Frontpage Server Extensions, or WebDav, both of which are a bit more
flexible than FTP...

Cheers
Ken

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server (IIS)