[thelist] crediting/licensing evolt tutorial code

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 17 14:38:59 CST 2003

> From: "Benjamin C. Varadi" <bvaradi at nlcnet.org>
[...]
> I've written a little script that draws on a tutorial from the evolt
> code area.  Obviously I plan to give credit where it's due, but am not
> up on the proper way to do so... do I just throw a note on the program
> admin page & the license page (BSD)?  Something more formal?
[...]

this question often comes up in people's heads, and there are a
few ways to handle it...

- what does the tutorial say about recognition? in this case, it says
nothing, but many of them do suggest how you can recognize the
original author...

- write the author and ask... they usually love to hear when people
are using their code, and love to see the sites using it... i know i
get a charge when people use my code and show me where...

- reference it in the source code, and sometimes, where
appropriate, in the output... for instance, a block of recognition at
the top of a script block is always nice, or perhaps on a links page
or even a colophon page (we never make those any more)...

- consider giving back to the greater community by offering udpates
to the code, or writing follow-up tutorials at evolt.org...

- or good ol' hard cash: http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

there are other ways to handle it, too, but these are some quick
rules i tend to follow...

--
my latest book project:
  Web Graphics for Non-Designers