[thelist] Why no HTML

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Dec 18 11:52:25 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hershel Robinson" <hershelr at netvision.net.il>
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 12:43 PM

> What are the reasons that many email lists (like thelist) do not allow or
do
> not appreciate HTML posts?

AFIAK, the principal reason is bandwidth.  HTML emails more than effectively
double the length of the email since the email often goes out with both the
marked up and the plain text versions embedded.  If the markup is
complicated, the length is obviously even more great.  When you have a few
thousand subscribers and hundreds of posts a day, that bandwidth adds up.

Also, I personally prefer to view emails in my preferred font and size.  I
like the orange comic sans ms text on the navy background, underlined and
blinking...  With plain text emails it's always just like I like it.
Otherwise, I have to look at whatever you choose.  Ugh.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.
http://www.waetech.com/service_areas/FL/