[thelist] Free web-based database?

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sat Dec 20 12:20:41 CST 2003

Scott Rutledge wrote:

> Does anyone know of any web-based database that's free (or super-cheap)
> that I could use for incorporating very simple database listings and
> editing onto a site?  We're talking like simple organization member
> contact info here... I'm doing some work for a non-profit that can't
> afford the costs of even a MySQL ($500 now)....

I suspect you misunderstand the terms of MySQL licensing ...

   The MySQL database server is available for free under the GNU
   General Public License (GPL). Commercial licenses are available
   for users who prefer not to be restricted by the terms of the GPL.

   Source: <http://www.mysql.com/products/index.html>

   2. Free use for those who never copy, modify or distribute

   As long as you never distribute MySQL software (or software that
   forms a derivative work with MySQL software) in any way, you are
   free to use it for powering your application, irrespective of the
   license the application is under.

   Source: <http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html>

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com