[thelist] "Notifying" search engines (was: Cheating Google?)

Eric E lists at ettinger.net
Sun Dec 21 13:31:27 CST 2003

> By following both of these rules, and within two days of
> placing links
> in my own journal to a new corporate website I've been working on, it
> was listed right at the top of Google's results, without any
> extra work
> AT ALL;
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=Gossweiler+Media
> http://www.google.com/search?q=Jungfrau+Zeitung
> http://www.google.com/search?q=bistrotel+brienz

All good points, but remember that these are not very competitive
keywords/phrases - a lot of other users will have to optimize their
content (you gave 2 hints in your list) in order to achieve good
ranking.

You also gave the golden advice - "provide decent content." Content is
the key - the tricks come and go and seem to go very fast these days. If
you actually just provide content relative to the keywords/phrases in
question and learn how to optimize said content you will do much better
in the long run.

We've done work in verticals like insurance and travel which are
ultra-competitive and achieved first page, above the fold results in
both and the irony is that if you play by rules you can do better than
by "cheating."

I am surprised no one mentioned paid performance (Overture, Google
AdWords) in this string. While they are not tools for getting good
organic search results, they are useful tools to get things rolling
while you address the natural search issues - which takes longer, in
most cases. Also don't forget paid inclusion. Except for Google all the
engines have some type of paid inclusion service. While that does not
guarantee ranking, it does mean you'll get into their index more
quickly.

Pax,
Eric

http://www.ettinger.net